martes, 2 de agosto de 2016

Growing Organics ‘Sin Fronteras’

Eduardo Rivera, a Mexican-born farmer living in Minnesota, is striving to make organic vegetables accessible to the Latino community.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and answer the questions below.



1 What is the first challenge that Eduardo mentions?
2 Why are some people skeptical about organic?
3 What identity problem does Eduardo have?
4 What medical conditions do latino communities suffer from?
5 What's the difference in price between Eduardo's tomatillos and those of other latinos?
6 What's Eduardo's nickname in his family?
7 What has Eduardo started to make organic food affordable to the Latino community?

I started farming when I was a kid in Mexico. Farming is a way for me to just learn about myself, learn about what I can do and then also work with these beautiful plants. I mean, they teach you a lot. It's pretty amazing. I love it.
There's numerous challenges- access to land. It took me three years to find this spot. I pay myself $1,200 a month. But because of the hours that I work, it turns out to be more like $5 an hour.
Hey, what's up? Yeah, just checking in to see if you needed jalapeno, poblano, xixito, padron.
I mean, a lot of people are skeptical about organic. It's very expensive, and it's just out of some people's reach. I'm aware that I can't change the world and I can't feed the world. But I can impact a certain amount of people around me and basically that's what I'm trying to do.
My mom brought us here when I was 10 years old. And because I left Mexico so young, it's like you're stuck in the middle of both places. And you really feel like you're not from here or from there either.
Latino communities have the highest rate of diabetes, high blood pressure. I mean, you name the sicknesses, we're up there.
One of my ultimate goals is to provide the Latino communities with access to local organic foods.
It's nearly impossible to get into places like this, and they just basically shut the door in front of your face and, that's why I have to look elsewhere.
Are you guys out of tomatillos? Never mind, dude, they're right here. I just didn't see them. They're hiding.
This is where I usually shop for groceries. I sell lots of hot peppers here and tomatillos as well.
Let's take these, because they're on sale.
My tomatillos are $4.99 here. And at the Latino stores, they're $0.99. What hurts the most is that my people can't have access to my food because it's so expensive. But I can't afford to drop the price any more.
We have joke amongst us. We call Eduardo a potato because he's brown on the outside but he's American on the inside.
She says that because I'm all into organic. But, I mean, my heart's brown.
To make organic food affordable to the Latino community, I decided to start the CSA program.
How you feeling, dude?
Some of the Latino CSA customers may not be able to afford the whole price. But in return, we'd normally barter for one of their skills that they have. Right now, we have six CSA customers. And my intention is to have 100. But it takes baby steps.
I want everyone to eat my food. But I really want to make an impact in my community, and I don't think I'm going to stop until I get there. Even if it's hard, even if it takes me all my life, I'm never going to stop.
These want to turn color but we just don't let them.

Key:
1 access to land 
2 it is expensive and beyond their reach
3 he is neither American nor Mexican
4 highest rate of diabetes, high blood pressure
5 $4 
6 potato
7 the CSA program